Sweet Potato Curry – Yumyumyum.
This is easy, fairly quick, can be made in advance and easily modified to suit your taste, delicious and nutritious.
For the Sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, minced (about a 2” piece, peeled)
- 1-2 TB curry powder, mild or hot*
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, peeled and without puree**
- Heat saute pan or wide saucepan to medium. Saute onions until soft and then add garlic & ginger and cook for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in dried spices and heat 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, if too thick, add a little water. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes until it starts to thicken a little and smells great.
Prepare Vegetables to Add to Sauce
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite size cubes
- autumn squash, cut in cubes
- carrots, peeled and cut into smaller pieces as they are denser and take longer to cook unless they are a smaller size!
- Combine 1-2 tablespoons olive oil with 1/2 tsp curry powder and 1/4 tsp each of dried ginger and cumin.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss vegetables with olive oil, place in roasting pan (not crowded) and cook for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add vegetables to the sauce, heat through and serve with rice or couscous.
- There are lots of kinds of curry powder. Experiment with different kinds. Add more or less than recipe to suit your taste.
- Canned tomatoes: I think the best are peeled, whole tomatoes with no puree. I drain the juice into the pan and then (wearing disposable glove) crush the whole tomatoes with my hand before adding to pot – discard the glove and the can!
- If you like coconut milk and want to splurge on calories, add 1/2 to 1 whole can of coconut milk to the sauce after it has cooked – just heat through. It’s a great taste, but it does come with extra calories and fat.
- Other good additions are garbanzo beans (just drain, rinse and add to sauce with other vegetables) and fresh spinach.
Want to see how it’s made? This video shows process step by step but please also make these notes:
– I used coconut milk in the video. You can replace with vegetable broth or another can of tomatoes.
– Sweet potatoes & carrots are roasted at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are tender and add to curry sauce when it is complete and let the vegetables simmer in the sauce for 5-10 minutes before serving.
– HOT WATER for couscous. Let the water come to a boil before pouring into bowl with couscous, then cover bowl immediately with saran.