Savory Quinoa Cakes
Quinoa is on a lot of Super Foods lists because it is one of the few plant based foods that is a complete protein. That means it contains all of the essential amino acids our bodies require. It’s high in fiber, low in cholesterol, tasty, cooks quickly and stores well in the refrigerator — all in all a good choice for a healthy diet. We like these savory little cake, perhaps with a little roasted tomato sauce or as a side with sauté salmon?
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 red pepper, diced small
- 1 small onion diced (or 2-3 scallions chopped)
- 2-4 white mushrooms diced
- 1 cup walnuts toasted (or substitute other nuts of your choice)
- wheat germ
- fresh or dried herbs of your choice (1-2 teaspoons dried, more if using fresh. Thyme, oregano & sage all good choices.)
- 2 whole eggs
- salt and pepper to taste (about 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
- Cook quinoa according to directions and cool (overnight in fridge is fine if you want to do it ahead of time)
- Heat sauté pan to medium, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook diced vegetables until soft.
- Chop or process walnuts to desired size. Put them in a measuring cup and add enough wheat germ to measure 1-1/2 cups. Add to quinoa along with sautéed vegetables.
- Break eggs and gently stir into quinoa mixture. It will be wet, but should hold together in an ice cream scoop. It it’s too wet, add another tablespoon or 2 of wheat germ.
- Wipe out the sauté pan, reheat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Using a large ice cream scoop, form patties and gently remove into hot pan, pushing together to form a nice circle and pressing down a bit with a spatula if they are too thick. Avoid using your hands to shape – it just works better to NOT use your warm hand.
- Cook on one side for 4-5 minutes (if the cake does not release from the pan easily with a spatula, it probably need another minute or 2 of cooking time). When it seems cooked on one side, flip and cook for additional 4-5 minutes. Remove, from sauté pan onto paper towels to remove any excess oil.
Note: These can be browned ahead of time, place on cookie sheet and reheat in 350 degree oven for 8-10 when time to serve. Top with a little cheese before reheating if you like – maybe a little shaved parmesan reggiano or goat cheese? Yummy.
Note 2: These are also good served as a veggie burger on a sandwich thin – maybe with some dijon mustard and arugula? also yummy.