Roasted Tomato Sauce
This is a hearty, tasty tomato sauce which is easy to make (it does take awhile to roast, so do it when you’re going to be at home for a couple of hours). It’s versatile, stores easily (in the fridge for one week or in the freezer) and it’s full of nutrition. Serve it on pasta (try brown rice pasta for more fiber and nutrition), use it as pizza sauce on a whole grain tortilla or toss it with roasted eggplant and squash for a nice ratatouille.
- Plum tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Garlic
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove the bit of core.
- Arrange them, cut side down, on a baking sheet lightly coated with olive oil.
- Roast for approximately 1 hour, until they are releasing juices and getting brown on the edges.
- Rough chop a medium to large sweet onion (the amount of onion will depend on how much you like onions and how many tomaotes you have – this is not an exact kind of recipe so don’t angst over this – just try it, you can’t really go wrong and you’ll adjust it the next time!) and add to the pan with the tomatoes.
- Peel 2-3 cloves of garlic and add to tomatoes.
- Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar over the vegetables (don’t like balsamic, use red wine or white wine vinegar)
- Return to oven and roast another hour until all is tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Season with salt and pepper (just not too much, you can season at the table, with the final product).
- Once all is cool, place in food processor (don’t overcrowd, you don’t have to do it all at once if you have a lot!)
- Pulse until you have the consistency you like – (some like it chunkier, some like it smoother – you be your own judge!)
- It’s ready to eat or store.
- If you want to add fresh or dried herbs you can do so when you roast or you may prefer to keep it simpler and add the herbs when you use it to prepare a dish.
- If you freeze the sauce, it may become a little watery when you thaw it. If so, just reheat, uncovered, and the excess liquid will cook off quickly.