Quinoa Salad: delicious and nutritious as a side dish or as a main course with lots of roasted or steamed vegetables. Travels well for picnics or lunch at work.
• 1 cup red white or tricolor quinoa + 2 cups water and 1 tsp salt
• 1/2-1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
• 1-2 stalks celery, small dice
• 1 large carrot, small dice
• 1/2 pepper diced (red, yellow, orange or green)
• 2-3 scallions thinly sliced or 1/2 of 1 small red onion, small dice
• 1 15-ounce garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 Tb balsamic vinegar
• 3 Tb olive oil
• 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp honey
• Salt & peppe to taste
• Handful chopped fresh cilantro
• Rinse quinoa well in a colander or sieve with cold running water, drain well.
• Bring water and salt to boil, add quinoa, reduce to low simmer and cook, uncovered, for approximately 20 minutes until quinoa is tender. Drain well and set aside.
• Add prepared vegetables to the quinoa.
• Make the dressing by placing vinegar, oil, mustard and honey in a container. Whisk or shake well if in covered container. Add to quinoa along with cilantro, combine well and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary, with additional salt, pepper or herbs as you like.