Perfect Pico de Gallo
What to do with a bumper crop of summer tomatoes? Think pico de gallo – what a great addition to so many things (almost anything is a little tastier with un poco pico!
How Nutritious is Pico de Gallo?
The answer is very!
- Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene and antioxidants.
- It’s fat free.
- And it’s low in calories (as long as you don’t eat it with a whole bag of chips!)
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
- Fresh tomatoes (I prefer plum because you don’t have to peel them and when seed and core are removed, there’s lots of nice meaty flesh to dice.)
- Onions (red, white, yellow – whatever you have on hand
- Garlic – a lot or a little
- Jalapeño peppers (fresh or in a jar/can)
- Fresh lime juice
- Lots of cilantro
- Salt & Pepper to season
Method for Pico de Gallo
- Seed tomatoes and remove the inner core.
- Finely dice the onion (how much do you like – you can always add more if necessary)
- Mince the garlic and jalapeño then top with cilantro and some salt. Continue to mince all together then add to tomato/onion mix.
- Add freshly squeezed lime juice, salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Let rest for 10-15 minutes and then taste to determine what else it may need to be the perfect pico de gallo for you.
Taste like summer!
Add to perfect avocados to make guacamole.
Add to diced fresh mangoes for a yummy mango salsa (or pineapple!)
Eat with: chips, avocados, salads, sandwiches, quesadillas, and countless other opportunities!
Use for fish tacos, grilled meats or chicken.