- l large onion
- 5-6 dried Chinese mushrooms (optional)
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 12 oz. fresh mushroom, sliced or diced
- 1 28-ounce can peeled whole tomatoes in juice (not puree)
- 4 cups (1 quart) vegetable stock (use low/no sodium)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano or thyme (or 1 of each, your preference)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 bag (3-4 handfuls) spinach (optional)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- rehydrate dried mushroom by putting in boiling water to simmer 3-4 minutes. run under cold water to cool, slice.
- dice onions, carrots, celery and all mushrooms and saute in large, heavy soup pot til soft, with rehydrated mushrooms.
- Drain the tomato juice into the soup pot and break or chop whole tomatoes into smaller piece. Add to soup pot, along with stock. Add seasonings.
- Bring stock/veggies to a boil, add 1 cup pearl barley, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- If you like spinach, rough chop it and add to the pot, simmer about 10 minutes or until barley and spinach are tender.
- You can omit the tomatoes and add more stock or water, if you like. It makes a thick soup, almost like stew – feel free to add more stock or water if you like a thinner broth.