Make your own granola. It’s easy and delicious. Other benefits include: less sugar than many commercial products, and this one has flax meal and all of it’s nutritional benefits.
• 4 cups rolled oats (Quaker old fashioned)
• 1 cup oat bran
• 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
• 1 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
• 1/2 cup flax meal
• 1/2-1 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 to 2 cups raisins, craisins or other chopped dried fruit
• 1 TB ground cinnamon
• 6 TB oil (vegetable, canola, or similar)
• 6 TB honey
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• Mix together first 7 ingredients in large bowl.
• Combine oil, honey and vanilla and toss evenly with the dry mixture.
• Divide between 2 sheet pan and cook at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes until brown. Rotate pans halfway through cooking time.
• Allow to cool and store in air tight containers.
Note: I made this batch during Snowmageddon (we don’t get much snow in Pfafftown. When we do, we tend to stay inside until the sun comes out and melts it. I didn’t have raisins or craisins so I added more coconut and nuts to replace – still delicious but not quite as sweet.