Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce
Need a gluten free enchilada sauce that’s easy and tastier than store-bought? Try this one. It’s fast, easy and healthy.
How Nutritious is Gluten-Free Enchilada Sauce?
- Gluten free for those who need to avoid it.
- Cooked tomatoes are actually more beneficial that raw!
- Low in fat and calories but full of flavor.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons garbanzo bean flour
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil or other healthy vegetable oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 to 1 whole jalapeño pepper minced (depends on how hot you want your sauce!)
- 2-3 Tablespoons finely minced onion (red, yellow or white)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (there are many types of chili powder – choose the one that suits your taste. If you’re not sure, start with a mild variety and work your way up to hotter ones if you prefer them)
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes (not with puree, check the ingredients)
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
Method for Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce
- Heat a medium sized, heavy bottomed sauce pan to medium high heat.
- Add the oil and then the flours. These flours brown quickly so have other ingredients ready to go. When flour is brown, add dried spices, onion and jalapeño. Cook until aromas release and vegetables start to cook (1-2 minutes).
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock (to avoid lumps) and then garlic. Simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and continue to simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and season with salt & pepper.
- Allow to cool and continue to use in recipe or cover tightly and store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This is a handy sauce for making quick enchiladas with leftover vegetables, chicken or beef.
Note: if gluten is not a problem, replace with all-purpose flour. It takes a little longer for the flour to brown and be careful to stir often to avoid burning. It’s best to let it brown which results in a more flavorful sauce.