Fried Rice and Asian Slaw
Yum. I love this meal, and Mac wants some too. I made Asian Slaw for a little cooking demo on Monday and since I happened to have some leftovers, I decided to add some fried rice to the menu and have a really good meal (It makes plenty for us to eat on Tuesday also – even better!) The link for the slaw recipe is just above and here’s how to fry the rice – it’s pretty quick, economical and tasty.
- 1 cup raw brown rice
- 1 small package Chinese dried mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 1″ piece of fresh ginger
- frozen petite green peas
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro and 1 of fresh mint, chopped together
- 1 lime
- sesame oil
- Cook rice according to directions. For fried rice, it is best if is is cooled. You can cook it the night before and refrigerate for use the next day.
- Rehydrate the dried mushrooms by putting them in a pot of boiling water, leave them for 2-3 minute, turn heat off and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Place in cold water until they are cool enough to handle and then slice thinly.
- Dice onion.
- Mince garlic, peel ginger and mince that too.
- Break eggs into dish, add soy, oyster and fish sauce.
- Heat wok til hot (but not smoking). Add 1-2 teaspoons sesame oil, add mushrooms & onions and stir fry until tender, add a little of the ginger/garlic and cook 1 more minute, remove to bowl.
- Reheat wok, add a little more sesame oil, cook peas 2-3 minutes, add ginger/garlic, cook 1 more minute, remove to bowl with mushrooms & onions.
- Reheat wok, add more sesame, add brown rice. Let it cook until it starts to brown, stirring occasionally (about 4-5 minutes, add the rest of the garlic/ginger and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the mushroom/onion/peas to rice and stir together for 1-2 minutes until it is good and hot.
- Make a well in the center of the ingredients, add the eggs and let it sit for 30 sec or so, until they start to cook on the bottom. Stir fry with the other ingredients until the eggs are cooked and incorporated into the other ingredients.
- Add chopped cilantro and mint, stir into rice and remove to serving bowl.
- Top with fresh squeezed lime juice to taste.
Note: you can substitute veggies (use peppers, fresh mushrooms, scallions, basil & mint, shredded carrots, celery – whatever you have on hand.)