Brussel Sprout & Kale Salad
I cannot get enough of this brussel sprout & kale salad – it is addictive. It takes a little time to prepare because the sprouts and kale need to be thinly sliced. Good news: you can make it ahead of time and it’s better that way. The vinaigrette helps soften up the raw veggies and about 30 seconds in the microwave prior to serving brings all the flavors together. Keep refrigerated for several days (if it last that long). Plenty of fiber and phytonutrients in this tasty dish.
Vegetarian? I’m sure it’s fine without bacon.
Ingredients for Salad
Slice the brussels sprouts thinly.
Choose tender kale and thinly slice it too.
• 1 pound each of brussel sprouts and kale, washed and thinly sliced
• 1 cup walnuts (or other preferred nut) chopped and toasted
• 1 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
• 4-5 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
Ingredients for Dressing
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 TB dijon mustard
• 1 small shallot minced
• 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground pepper
• 1/2 cup olive oil
Method for Dressing
• Place all ingredients in bowl and process using emersion blender until thick and creamy. Alternate: whisk or shake vigorously in lidded jar
Don’t have shallots? Don’t worry – you can substitute onions or scallions.
Place ingredients in measuring cup or bowl.
An emersion blender works well for (all) vinaigrettes – makes it nice and creamy.
Don’t have emersion blender? Don’t worry, use processor or mince garlic and shallots and then whisk together or place in lidded jar and shake vigorously.
• Combine sprouts, kale and dressing in lidded container. Stir in dressing and mix well. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
• Before serving, add nuts, cheese and bacon, combine well.
Note: I microwave for about 30 seconds before serving just long enough to warm it a little with cooking!
Bon Appetit Y’all.