Are amazing avocados a regular part of your diet? We have them often, especially in the summer when they’re in season. In addition to being delicious, avocados have a good nutritional profile. Dr. Weil details the benefits of this fruit in this response to an avocado question.
We enjoy salads in the summer time, when it’s hot and I don’t feel like cooking. With ingredients on hand, I can whip up a healthy, hearty, yummy salad in short order with:
- Greens (I use romaine for crunch and baby arugula. Choose your favorites but make sure to include some dark greens for more nutrients.)
- Hard boiled eggs (eggs often get a bad rap but they contain a lot of protein and are good for you in moderation.
- Cheese – we splurge a bit and use crumbled blue, but any kind will do.
- Ripe Avocado
- Croutons or toasted walnuts
- Clear out the veggie bin if you like – add carrots, cukes, tomatoes, olives, peppers
- Left over chicken or beef – slice or dice and add.
- Chick peas or lentils – throw those in too.
- Mix all with your favorite vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper.
The creamy avocado and eggs are a nice contrast to crunchy greens and veggies. Delicious, refreshing, healthy and you get to clear the fridge!