A Healthy Way to Start the Day
Looking for a Healthy Way to Start the Day?
This is Dick’s go-to breakfast in the winter. It’s full of healthy fiber (steel cut oatmeal, flax, dried apples and cherries) which is hearty and helps him feel fuller longer. It also helps to lower cholesterol and it’s anti-inflammatory.
I cook a pot every 4-5 days. It stores well in the fridge, so he just places a portion in a bowl, reheats in microwave for about a minutes, adds 7 slices dried apples, some cherries and about 2 tablespoons of 2% milk.
Cook on Sunday, healthy breakfast for 4-5 days? Easy, healthy, economical.
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons milled golden flaxseed
- 4 cups water
- dried apples and cherries (or other fruit of choice)
- Bring water to boil in medium size saucepan.
- Add oatmeal and ground flaxseed and whisk.
- Reduce heat to low simmer and cook for 45-55 minutes or until water is absorbed and oatmeal is tender. Whisk every 10-15 minutes to keep it smooth.
- Eat or allow to cool completely, cover with saran and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Then, place individual portion in bowl, microwave until it’s hot, add dried fruit and milk and enjoy.
- Steel cut oatmeal has more fiber and is more nutritious than rolled oats. It’s also much healthier than the pre-packaged individual portions which have a lot of added sugar.
- Dried apples are great for helping reduce cholesterol. 7 slices = one whole apple. Dick enjoys the Vacaville Fruit Company brand – we get them at Costco, but you can purchase online.